For those who have been waiting a seemingly long time to possess your prophetic destiny, here are six characteristics of someone who didn’t leave the earth before obtaining what was promised. By following the steps of Joshua and Caleb, we can see fulfillment of the Word of God even if we have to wait till we are 80 years old.
- “They searched out the land” Numbers 13:2. We must be able to see the good things in our future before we can obtain them. A great man of God once said, “If you can see the invisible, you can do the impossible.” As we meditate on the Word of God and pray in the spirit, we are “searching out the land” of our lives to see what lies in store for us in God’s plan. Holy Spirit in us enables us to see future events before they happen.
- “Rulers among them” Numbers 13:2. These men had the quality of faithfulness, they were mature and responsible men who had proven character before the Lord. Those who are entrusted with great responsibility have been trustworthy with smaller responsibilities in the Kingdom of God. Before becoming elders in the Body of Christ, we must first use the office of a deacon well, learning how to become servants.
- “A spirit of faith” Numbers 13:30. Faith is in two places according to Romans 10:8-10, “in the heart and in the mouth.” Paul said that Christians have this same spirit of faith in 2 Corinthians 4:13, “speaking with the mouth what we believe in the heart.” Caleb said what he believed, “Let us go up at once for we are well able to possess it.” You can’t speak one thing and possess another as Jesus said, “He shall have whatsoever he saith.” Mark 11:23 KJV
- “Not easily influenced by others” Numbers 13:31-32. Staying free from contamination of evil reports is necessary to stay in faith and possess the promises of God. When a majority is saying “it’s not possible”, pointing out all the obstacles that must be overcome, the spirit of faith will overcome and remain unmoved for as long as it takes. Paul said, “for We walk by faith and not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV
- “Faith and Patience” Numbers 14:37-38. The Word says that Joshua and Caleb “lived still” after all the “doubters who spoke an evil report before the Lord” had died. Paul said those who have the “diligence of faith and patience” will possess the promises, Hebrews 6:11-12. Patience is the ability to stay in faith as long as it takes.
- “Knew when to move” Joshua 14:12. “Now therefore, give me this mountain.” The time comes when the Lord is ready to manifest His glory in the fulfillment of His promises, we must stay ready in faith so that we are able to move with Him.
The Lord has put these wonderful examples of faith in His Word, the Word of Faith, so that we may follow in the steps of faith and live out God’s plan to the fullest; only leaving this life when His full will has been accomplished. As Paul said, “I am now ready to be offered up” 2 Timothy 4:6. He knew he had seen the fulfillment of what had been spoken to him by the Spirit of God.
Dr. John Polis